YouTube is the world’s second-largest search engine as well as the world’s second-favorite social media platform. With 1.9 billion users watching over 1 billion hours of video content a day, the competition to get noticed on the platform is tougher than ever. On average, people upload 500 hours of video content every minute, thus over-saturating the platform and dumping loads of content into an ever-growing ocean.
Staying ahead of the competition is extremely difficult. Unless your name is PewDiePie or Jenna Marbles (or you’re anywhere near that magnitude), you feel the struggle to climb up the ladder of YouTube recognition every single day.
“Hold On – Who Even Is My Competition?”
The simple answer to this question is “everyone”.
Every other creator on YouTube is competing against you for the audience’s attention and adoration.
However, it goes a little deeper than that.
- Your competitors are other creators in your niche that have relatively big viewing statistics and a relatively large following. They are the people who got you into YouTube in the first place – and the very people you want to outshine.
- Your competitors are creators who are making the same videos in your niche every single day.
- It doesn’t really matter how big or small they are.
- Every creator in your niche is your direct competition, and your goal is to be on the very top of the food chain.
To really succeed on YouTube, you have to think of everything within your niche. You can’t compete with PewDiePie if your content is about stationery products and journaling, and you can’t compete with Jenna Marbles if your content isn’t similar to hers whatsoever.
How To Find Your Competitors On YouTube
Let’s play a game. Let’s pretend we’re content creators in a specific niche, and we want to rank our video at the very top of the food chain. To find your competition on YouTube, you’ll need to use the TuBeast Chrome Extension.
First thing’s first – we have to come up with a keyword for this example. We chose the keyword “cat behavior” and typed it in the search bar. Next, we hit “enter” and reached YouTube’s Search Engine Results Page (SERP). Here’s where it gets interesting.
With the TuBeast Chrome extension, the first thing you’ll see on the right side of the screen is your Keyword Analysis.
This feature will show you the competition score for this keyword as well as monthly search volumes. These two factors will help us determine if we want to compete for this keyword and target it or not.
For the sake of the example, let’s say that we love a good challenge and that we’re going for it. Next, we’ll want to have a look at the top five search results.
Looking at our top 5 search results, we can find our toughest competitors and learn a lot about them. The things you’ll want to look at are: video length, titles and descriptions and thumbnails. These are all things that you’ll have to out-do in order to get more views than your competitors are getting.
Another way you can find your competitors is by clicking on any of the top-ranked videos. On the video page, you’ll find the TuBeast extension data on the right side of the screen. Scroll down until you reach the “Suggested Videos Analysis” and click on “Current VS Suggested Videos” button.
This will show you even more competitors that are being recommended by YouTube for the same keyword and topic – cat behavior.
“Ok So How Can TuBeast Help Me Beat My YouTube Competitors?”
Not to toot our own horn, but we’ve created an amazing set of tools that will help you with learning from the greatest YouTubers as well as nailing your SEO and video content creation practices. Using our unique set of tools, you will be able to study what your competitors are doing right and wrong and you can take notes and learn from their mistakes. You will also be able to optimize your video content as well as your SEO assets. Here’s how.
Starting From Square One: Topic And Keyword Research
YouTube Keyword Research
Doing keyword research is very similar to doing topic research, but it has a little twist: keywords are something you’re actually going to use in your video meta-tags as well as say in your video itself. Finding and choosing a low-competition score keyword is crucial for bettering your chances of ranking in the Search Engine Results Page.
- With TuBeast’s YouTube Keyword Tool, you can:
- Find a comprehensive list of trending keywords on YouTube that are worth targeting.
- This will help you stay ahead of the game and strike the iron while it’s hot.
- Learn if there are any videos on Google for the same keyword – this could generate a constant stream of views directly from the search engine.
- Receive a full report of related long-tail keywords that you might want to consider using in your video. You can also discover the search volumes for each trending and related keyword on your report of the past 12 months.
- Find out what the competition score is for each keyword – the lower the competition score is, the better your chances for ranking are.
Advanced Topic Research
TuBeast’s Advanced Topic Research tool is one of a kind and innovative. It will help you take the guesswork out of what your video content should be if you want to beat your competitors’ videos and channels.
- With our Advanced Topic Research you can:
- Find content that people are actually searching for and crafting something that people actually want to watch. This will keep you on top of the competition by creating videos that people actually want to watch.
- Have the ultimate advantage to have over your competitors who aren’t using TuBeast’s Advanced Topic Research tool.
- Find your competition easily. All you have to do is look at your General Insights tab and scroll through the Most Suggested Videos to see who you’re up against.
- Have a look at the Top Videos Analysis to see how the top videos in the topic you’re researching are performing.
- Learn how long your video should be in comparison to your competitors’ videos, what style of thumbnails your competitors opted to have and what style of titles they chose to present in their videos. This will allow you to out-perform your competitors right from the very start.
After Your Video’s Ready: Video and Thumbnail Analysis
AI Video Analysis
This tool, while it’s great for analyzing your own video, can also analyze your competitor’s videos. It gives you a golden opportunity to see what your competitors are doing right and wrong and to learn from it. Then, you can apply what you learn in your own content, and create a super high-quality video that can easily compete with the best of the best. Our AI Video Analysis tool can:
- Help you discover more than 50 different potentially harmful issues or mistakes in your videos before you upload your video to YouTube. This is important because once you upload a video to YouTube, you can’t make any changes in your content if you realize you’ve made a mistake.
- Assist you in creating better content for your audience. This will increase your video’s performances, audience retention, average view duration and engagement rates. These are crucial metrics for YouTube’s algorithms in deciding whether or not to promote and recommend your content across the YouTube platform. So, the higher quality your video is, the more chances it has to be promoted and recommended by the algorithms.
- Allow you to learn from your competitors’ mistakes – all you have to do is copy and paste their video link and analyze their videos to find issues and mistakes that they made. This will give you the chance to learn from those mistakes and avoid making them.
- Teach you how to make better videos. Since each feedback is accompanied with a detailed explanation, you will never be left in the dark wondering where your video went wrong and what you should do to fix it. It’s all written out for you.
- Help your team by sharing your reports with them to learn from our feedback as well.
- Display and download your video transcript for you. If you happen to see that our algorithm didn’t recognize some words properly, that means you might want to better pronounce them or improve the sound in your video. Because our Text To Speech technology is the same as YouTube’s, if we didn’t recognize a certain word – neither will YouTube.
AI Thumbnail Analysis
Great thumbnails are crucial for your video’s success, especially in such a highly competitive environment such as YouTube. While this tool is great for analyzing your own thumbnails, you can also analyze your competitor’s thumbnails and learn from their mistakes and their strengths. Our AI Thumbnail Analysis tool can:
- Analyze your thumbnail design to provide you with a score from 1-100, determining how good (or bad) your thumbnail is.
- Give you feedback and advice to teach you how to create better thumbnails. Better thumbnails will improve your video’s CTR (Click-Through-Rate), meaning more people will click on your video and start watching it!
- Help you decide between several thumbnail designs that you’re contemplating over. This will decrease your chances of choosing the wrong thumbnail and hurting your video’s performance.
- Compare your thumbnail with your competitor’s thumbnails to show you who’s got the winning hand. This will help you learn from your competitor’s mistakes and successes and become better than them.
Finally, you can use our Thumbnail Preview Tool to see what your thumbnail looks like on mobile, PC and other devices to make sure it’s clear and compelling.
Pre-Upload Meta-tags optimization Tool
This tool will help you craft and find the best meta tags for your YouTube video. Nailing your meta-tags can really increase your ranking in the search engine results page. All you need is your keywords and your video description. From there, you let us do the work. Our Pre-Upload Meta-Tags Optimization Tool can:
- Find personalized metatags for your video. This will help make sure you’re staying as relevant as possible.
- Boost your rankings in the Search Engine Results Page (SERP). Since YouTube rewards videos with optimized and relevant metatags, this will help you stay on top of the SERP easily.
- Make sure you’re staying on track with your video description section by analyzing your description’s draft before you upload your video. This will help you write the best video descriptions for the best chances of discoverability over your competitors.
- Suggest 3 excellent video titles based on your keywords and video category. Since all of our titles are SEO friendly, you will outrank your competitors in the SERP effortlessly!
Track Your Competitors Using The Beast Trackers
Our Custom Alerts will help you stay in the loop. When it comes to YouTube and the competition on the platform, it’s important to stay updated in real time about what’s going on. When it comes to overcome and research your competitors on YouTube, our Custom Alerts can:
- Notify you when your video ranks in the top 5 search results for a specific keyword or query. You can use this feature to monitor when your video or your competitor’s video made its way into the top 5 places in YouTube’s SERP.
- Alert you when videos reached a minimum number of views for a specific keyword. You can use this feature to find trending videos on your topic of interest. You can also find out when videos reached your selected views number goal and how long it took them to get there. This could help you learn which content ideas perform better than others.
- Notify you each time a competitor uploads a new video. This feature will help you stay in the loop on what your competitors are doing, and it will also allow you to collect all the video tags for each new video your competitor uploads.
- Give you a list of ranked videos for a selected keyword. This tracker will let you monitor the top-ranked videos for specific keywords and keep track of their daily ranking.